Friday, July 11, 2008

leaves of grass

It rained a lot on our whirlwind trip through the midwest, but with rain come newness & beauty. If you look closely, you can see tiny hairs on one of the blades of grass. I think the hairs are called stomata.

When I heard the Learn’d Astronomer
Walt Whitman (1819–1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.

WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; 5
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.


I first read this in 7th grade and it is still by far one of my favorite pieces of free verse poetry. (I even thought about embroidering it on a pillow.) I know this poem has nothing to do with my picture, but Walt Whitman's collection of poems are entitled Leaves of Grass, so I figured I could put them together.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for letting me revisit than one!

. said...

I envy the green that surrounds you! Enjoying nature in Vegas is so different and I love looking in on the beautiful pictures. By the way, did they ever find your van?

monica said...

We love the beauty here. No van yet. We've been renting, and in the process we've tried out a few different models, which has been nice.